Have you ever wondered what to do with leftover food? Sometimes day two of eating it is just boring, right? That’s exactly what happened with my salmon and vegetables. And then inspiration hits me. I whipped out pasta from the pantry, the leftover wild salmon, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach and asparagus and this simply delicious, incredibly flavorful meal was a gourmet’s delight. More Please!
I encourage you to make this recipe and I hope you and your family will enjoy it as much as we did. Your comments, feedback, and questions are welcome.
Notice: If you like this recipe or any other recipe on my website, I encourage you to share them with family and friends in the form of directing them back to my website. https://julietkitchen.com
- 1/2 pound penne pasta
- 2 to 3 cups leftover salmon or about 12 ounces break into chunks
- 1 cup each of leftover broccoli florets, cauliflower florets, spinach and asparagus
- 2 cloves fresh garlic sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano roughly chopped - plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt plus one tablespoon to salt the pasta water
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino romano - plus extra shaved for garnish
Cook pasta according to package directions
Note: Use one tablespoon salt in the water and cook al dente. Save a 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
While the pasta is cooking, in a 5-quart dutch oven over medium flame, heat the olive oil and butter
Note: the oil/butter should be hot but not smoking
Add the sliced garlic and chopped oregano. Sauté for about one minute
Note: Do not brown the garlic
Add the broccoli and use a wooden spoon to gently combine. Add each remaining vegetable one at a time gently combining with each add
Add the salmon and gently combine
Add the pasta, salt, pepper and combine with the vegetables.
Note: Use some of the reserved pasta water to further moisten the dish if needed.
Turn off the stove. Add the 1/2 cup cheese and gently stir to coat the pasta, vegetable, and salmon
Plate, garnish with shaved cheese and fresh oregano leaves
This recipe is also great with leftover chicken or turkey. You can also use whatever your favorite vegetables are that was leftover from the night before.