This well-seasoned sausage and turkey minced meat with colorful veggies is quite delicious. It’s an easy to cook recipe that is healthier than using ground beef. But you can substitute beef if you prefer. I usually like to serve this dish with a serving of my Tomatoes, Black Eye Peas Basmati Rice recipe. They pair very well together with more added health benefits.
The tomatoes have an abundance of vitamin and minerals and is considered a nutrient-dense superfood. The peppers offer vitamin A and C plus fiber. I cooked the peppers so that they do not come out mushy in the end. The smaller tomatoes wilt enough without creating a tomato sauce. In the end the dish was perfect and we always enjoy it. I hope you will make this recipe and enjoy it as much as we do. Happy Cooking.
Turkey Sausage & Minced Meat with Veggies
A healthy recipe that is easy to make. Great for any dinner menu.
- 1 pound fresh turkey sausage (I used hot sausage) remove and discard thin skin
- 1 pound turkey minced meat
- 1 cup plum tomatoes cut each tomato in half
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut each tomato in half
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper seeds removed and diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper seeds removed and diced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper seeds removed and diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic freshly crushed
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions (plus more for garnish if desired)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (for cooking the meats)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (for cooking the vegetables)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or kosher (adjust for your diet)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a deep non-stick skillet or pan. I use medium high heat.
Add the turkey sussage to the pan. Use the back of a wooden pot spoon to break up the meat. Cook 5 to 6 minutes until the meat is no longer pink, stirring 2 to 3 times. Remove the cooked sausage meat to a bowl.
Add 1 teaspoon olive oil to the same pan.
Add the turkey minced meat. Use the back of the spoon to break up the meat. Cook 5 to 6 minutes until no longer pink, stiring a few times to reduce lumps. Remove the cooked meat to the same bowl with the cooked sausage.
Reduce the heat to medium and add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
Add the onions, peppers and celery. Stir. Add a generous pinch of the salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook 5 minutes.
Add the crushed garlic and thyme leaves. Stir. Cook 30 to 60 seconds.
Add the cherry and grape tomatoes. Season with a pinch of the salt and pepper. Stir.
Add in the sausage and turkey meat. Season with the remaining salt, pepper and add the scallions. Stir.
Pour in the chicken broth. Stir. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat – 10 to 12 minutes.
Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with chopped scallions if deesired. Enjoy!
I served this recipe with my Tomatoes, Black Eye Peas Basmati Rice.
You can use all turkey minced meat, if you prefer or use ground beef as another option.
You can leave the tomatoes whole. The small tomatoes work best in this recipe.
Recipe available in video format. See summary.