Thanksgiving and holidays are made for serving stuffing. This stuffing recipe is not your traditional everyday stuffing from a package. It is healthier and easy to make. The flavor is incredibly delicious. Healthy brown rice and turkey sausage (or can use turkey ground meat) makes it healthier and it is also gluten-free. I usually use the stuffing as a side dish but you can use it to stuff your bird – chicken or turkey. You will need to cook your bird longer if you stuff it; usually 15 to 20 minutes longer. Try this recipe with any of our roasted chicken or turkey breast recipes.
Try these favorite poultry recipes:
Stuffing | Brown Rice and Turkey Sausage Stuffing
A healthy brown rice and sausage stuffing that is great for stuffing turkey or chicken or serve on its own as a side dish.
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice cooked according to package direction and cooled for at least 10 minutes
- 20 ounces turkey sausage remove the thin casing (I use hot Italian Sausage)
- 1 bunch scallions about 5 to 6. Chop the white and light green parts small and the bright green parts about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in length. Keep the white and dark green parts seperate.
- 2 teaspoons savory fresh herb. Chopped finely – About 2 teaspoons. Can substitute a combination of marjorum, thyme and mint (equal portions)
- 1 clove garlic crushed or finely minced – about 1 teaspoon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. can reduce to 1 tablespoon
Note: I used Jasmine Thai Brown rice. The rice I used cooks in 30 minutes and I used chicken stock as the liquid. 3 cups liquid to 1 1/2 cups rice. The rice can be cooked up to a day ahead or early in the day.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive in a large dutch oven or saute pan. Use medium high heat.
Add the sausage to the pan and use the back of a spoon to break it up. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the sausage is no longer pink. And stir a few times throughout the cooking.
Add in the garlic, savory and the white and light green parts of the scallions. Turn the heat to medium. Stir and cook 3 to 4 minutes, stiring a couple of times.
Turn off the heat. Add in the cooked brown rice and the dark green parts of the scallions. Mix thoroughly to combine with the sausage mixture.
Transfer to a serving bowl and serve as a side dish.Enjoy.
This stuffing can be used to stuff turkey or chicken but you will need to cook your bird longer when stuffing it.
Substitutions: you can use ground turkey meat and you can also use white rice if you prefer.
Try pairing this recipe with any of our roasted chicken recipes or this Herbed Roasted Turkey Breast.
Nutritional recommendation may vary based on serving size.