These healthy burgers are not only great for the summer season, but they are perfect year round. They are lean with healthy fats, like olive oil added back into the meat. The herbs combination and the addition of sweet peas added so much brilliant tastiness to these masterpiece; and they are moist and tender. The guacamole spread was a genius addition but I must warn you that eating the burger can be finger licking messy. Apples and chicken goes so well together and the spinach paired so perfectly. But feel free to experiment with your preferred condiments and toppings. I also use our home made Sweet and Savory Rolls; link below. However, you can keep it gluten-free by skipping the rolls or use gluten-free bread. I hope you will try this recipe and enjoy as much as we do. Happy cooking!
Try these popular recipes:
Broiled Chicken Burgers with Guacamole Apples and Spinach
These healthy gluten-free chicken burgers are easy to make and absolutely delicious. Perfect recipe for under the broiler or on top of the grill.
FOR THE CHICKEN BURGER:
- 1 pounds ground chicken
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (plus extra for oiling hands)
- 3 tablespoons red onions finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic crushed or finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves finely chopped, if needed
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt or kosher. Adjust for your diet.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cups sweet peas fresh or frozen
- non-stick spray for spraying grill pan
TOPPINGS FOR BURGER:
- 2 – 4 slices pepper jack cheese or your favorite cheese
- 1 small apple sliced. I used organic Honeycrisp
- 1/2 cup baby organic spinach or kale
- Guacamole (recipe below)
- 2 to 4 hamburger rolls (I use homemade rolls) See recipe link in notes section
FOR THE GUACAMOLE:
- 2 small haas avocados or 1 large
- 1/2 lime juiced
- pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (I used 1/8 teaspoon each)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon serrano pepper or jalapeño. Finely diced
- 1 small fresh garlic clove crushed or finely minced
- 1 tablespoon red onion finely diced
- 1 tablespoon vine ripened or plum tomato finely diced
LET'S SEASON THE BURGERS:
In a medium mixing bowl, add the ground chicken.
Add the olive oil, onions, garlic, sage, oregano, thyme, salt, black pepper and cumin. Add in the sweet peas. Mix thoroughly until the ingredients are incorporated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
1 HOUR LATER:
Spray an ovenproof grill pan with non-stick spray or coat with olive oil.
Preheat oven if necessary and then turn on the broiler.
Note: While the burgers are broiling, I make the guacamole simultaneously. Instructions below.
Remove the burger meat from the fridge 30 minutes before broiling.
Shape the burger patties. Divide the meat into 2 or up to 4 equal portions. Shape each portion into rounds. Then flatten to about 1/4 inch thick or your desired thickness. Use your fingers to lightly indent the center of each burger.
Note: I coat my palms with olive oil while shaping the burgers. This helps the keep the meat from being sticky on your hands and it also helps to brown the burgers.
Place the shaped patties on top of the grill pan. Broil the patties 6 to 8 inches from the heat source. Broil the first side 4 to 5 minutes until lightly browned.
Note: Cook time for burgers will vary depending on thickness.
Remove the pan from the oven. Use a spatula to flip the burgers. Return to the oven and broil for 3 to 4 minutes.
If using cheese. remove the burgers from under the broiler at the 3 minutes timeframe. Top with a slice or 2 of your favorite cheese and broil for up to 1 minute until cheese melts.
Remove the burgers form the oven and assemble.
MAKE THE GUACAMOLE WHILE THE BURGERS ARE BROILING:
Remove the pits from the avocados and use a spoon to scoop the flesh into a mixing bowl.
Use a fork to mash the avocados as fine or as lumpy as you prefer your guacamole.
Note: Very small lumps are best since it's a spread for the buns. If going bunless a more lumpy version is good.
Sprinkle in the lime juice and use a fork or spoon to mix immediately .
Note: This step prevents the avocado from getting oxidation or brown.
Add in the remaining guacamole ingredients. Use the fork to mix until combined.
ASSEMBLE THE BURGERS:
I use my home made sweet and savory buns, recipe link in the notes section below.
Cut the buns in two and toast if you prefer. Spread a generous amount of the guacamole on top of one side of the bun. Add 2 to 3 slices of the apples. Add a few spinach leaves. Top with a burger and then add a few more slices of apple and some spinach. Top off with the other half of the burger bun.
Note: To make this fully gluten-free skip the bun and eat with knife and fork or place the broiled burgers on top of a bed of salad.
Serve and enjoy!
Video Tutorial Available: Broiled Chicken Burger with Guacamole Apples and Spinach
I used my homemade Sweet and Savory Rolls in this recipe. But you can use whatever type of buns you prefer.
Nutritional information will vary depending on serving size. Also the hamburger buns will add calories. The burgers can be eaten without he buns for a gluten-free recipe.