These types of root vegetable were the kind I grew up eating; we ate them cooked in many different ways, including soups. The combination of what types of root vegetables goes into a soup are endless. I find that the root vegetables used in this soup were the best combination – they are perfectly delicious, while giving the soup a creamy texture. It is also healthy. While the root vegetables offer a tremendous amount of nutritious vitamins and minerals they are also starchy. So if you are watching your carbs intake eat small portions and I generally make and eat this soup twice annually.
Here are a couple of articles about root vegetables: Health Benefits (WeMD) and Pros and Cons (Harvard Health).
You may also love these healthy and delicious soups:
Rustic Tomato and Carrot Soup Video Tutorial
White Beans and Veggies Soup Video Tutorial
Miso Soup with Leftover Turkey Meatballs and Veggies. Video Tutorial
Root Vegetables with Lentils Soup
This is one of the best soups that is healthy and hearty. It is loaded with nutrition and delicious. Fresh herbs and beautiful spices brightens up the flavors of the root veggies and lentils.
- 2 tablespoons Ghee
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves chopped if needed
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and quartered
- 1 medium Parsnip cleaned and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 green plantain peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 medium yuca (cassava) peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt adjust to your diet and taste
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 6 cups vegetable stock (I used a combination of 4 cups chicken and 2 cups vegetable stock)
- Optional: 1 habanero or scotch bonnet pepper (do not cut the pepper)
- 10 ounces baby spinach kale combination I use organic
In a stock pot or dutch oven, add the ghee. Use medium heat.
Saute onions until translucent and fragrant. Stir. Cook about 2 to 3 minutes.
Add in the thyme, oregano and garlic. Stir. Cook 30 to 60 seconds until fragrant.
Add in fennel and cumin seeds. Stir. Cook 30 to 60 seconds until fragrant.
Add in Bay leaf
Add in the lentils, and root vegetables. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
Pour in the stock. Adjust salt and pepper if needed. If using hot pepper drop it into the pot whole. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer and cook until vegetables are fork tender and lentils are melted. About 25 to 30 minutes.
Note: If using the whole hot pepper, be careful not to break the pepper when stirring. If it breaks the soup will be too spicy.
Once the root vegetables have tenderized, add in the spinach/kale. Tuck them into the hot liquid and allow to wilt – about 1 to 2 minutes. Turn off the stove.
Serve and enjoy!
Video tutorial available for Root Vegetables with Lentils Soup
Nutritional information will vary depending on the actual serving size.
Substitutions: While I find the combination of root vegetables were the perfect taste and texture, you may substitute your favorites as well as your favorite green leafy vegetables.