This breast of veal recipe is unbeatable. You cannot go wrong with the tender, succulent and super delicious flavor that comes with the fattiness of breast of veal. It’s a very easy to prepare meal in one pan. The slow cooking allows the meat to become very tender while soaking up the seasoning flavors. The onions and carrots will get married with the juice drippings from the veal.
Veal breast is a relatively fatty piece of meat from a young calve (young cow) – don’t be scared of the fat as it helps with locking in the juices and adds more flavor to the dish. This is a piece of meat that I usually cook infrequently, but whenever I do it’s always a big hit. I hope you will enjoy this delicacy as much as we do. Enjoy and Happy Cooking.
Slow-Cooked Breast of Veal
A simple and easy dish that is loaded with flavor. It’s succulent and delicious.
- 4 pounds breast of veal rinsed and pat dry with paper towels
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound carrots (organic) Cleaned and cut in 1/2 lengthwise.
- 2 medium onions peeled and cut in half then cut each half in quarters.
- 1 head of garlic (or 10 cloves) thin slice 1/2 of the garlic and crushed/minced the other half.
- 1 bunch thyme remove and discard stems. Roughly chop leaves.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sea salt (or your choice of salt). Adjust to your taste buds.
- 1 teaspoon paprika (smoked or sweet)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Note: Use the roast setting if your oven has this feature.
Make a paste: combine and mix olive oil, crushed garlic, chopped thyme, salt, paprika and black pepper.
In an oven proof saute pan with tight lid (or baking pan) add the carrots, onions, sliced garlic and 1 teaspoon of the seasoning paste. Mix to coat the vegetables.
Add the veal breast to the pan and season all over with the remainder of the seasoning paste.
Pour in the chicken broth.
Bake for 20 to 30 minutes at 450 degrees.
Note: Do not cover the pan for this step.
Once the veal is lightly brown, 20 to 30 minutes later, remove the pan. Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees. Cover the pan with the lid and return to the oven.
Note: Use convection or regular bake setting.
Bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until meat falls off the bone.
Transfer the meat and vegetables to a platter. Spoon the pan gravy over the meat. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Cut the meat in 3 or 4 serving portions. Plate and serve.
Enjoy and Happy Cooking: