The use of the wholesome ancient whole grain, Farro, will take your palate to nutty paradise. This salad has a beautiful crunchy texture with the right amount of tanginess and a hint of sweet crunch from the Granny Smith apple. This healthy salad is great as a standalone meal and is adaptable to vegans by removing the feta. Meat eaters are welcome to add grilled chicken or grilled shrimps to make it even more hearty. However you decide to adapt this recipe it will be your go to salad. For those of us with limited time to cook, this recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner – just remember to soak the farro overnight. Between cooking the farro and prepping the remaining ingredients, dinner will be ready in less than thirty minutes. Enjoy and Happy Cooking!
If you like this salad try these recommendations:
Farro Chickpeas Corn Salad
An easy vegetarian friendly and super delicious salad that is great on its own as a main dish or serve as a side dish.
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 cup farro (Soak the farro overnight for quick cook or follow the longer method for same day cooking)
- 3 cups water (for cooking the farro)
- 15 ounces canned chickpeas rinsed thoroughly
- 16 ounces canned corn rinsed thoroughly
- 1 medium red onion peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots sliced thinly or diced
- 1 medium English cucumber peeled and diced
- 1 granny smith apple diced (and squeeze some lemon juice to prevent the apples from getting brown)
- 8 ounces fresh feta cheese crumbled into your desired chunk size
FOR THE SALD DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (plus 2 tablespoons, if needed for a creamier texture)
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed or minced
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard (I use Dijon Whole Grain Mustard)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
In a a measuring cup, whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil. Add all the remaining ingredients and continue whisking until thoroughly combined. The vinaigrette will look creamy. Set adide.
COOK THE FARRO:
Drain and rinse the farro that was soaked overnight. Add the farro and 3 cups water to a medium pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook 10 minutes until farro is tender. Drain and add to a large enough salad bowl that can accomodiate all the remaining ingredients.
Add the carrots, chickpeas, corn, cucumber, onions and apples. Use two large spoons to gently combine the ingredients.
Add the dressing. Mix gently to combine.
Note: You can adjust how much of the vinaigrette you prefer. I used the entire batch.
Add the feta cheese and gently combine. Plate, Serve and Enjoy!