This simple and easy to make pasta dish will propel your cooking level to gourmet chef. It’s a vibrant and super delicious meal that is suitable for any weeknight or special occasion dinner. This special recipe features two star ingredients – fresh plum tomatoes and goat cheese. The addition of the goat cheese gives this rigatoni a distinct flavor. The creaminess of the goat cheese enhances the flavor and texture of this vegetarian friendly dish and meat eaters can add grilled shrimps or chicken. However you choose to serve this dish you will be delighted and most likely will make it over and over again. Enjoy and Happy Cooking!
Three Cheeses Rigatoni Pasta.
A simple and yummy cheesy pasta recipe that is great for any weekday or weeknight dinner table.
EASY PEEL TOMATOES:
- 10 plum tomatoes (peel and chopped/diced) easy peel instructions included.
- water for cooking the tomatoes
- 16 ounces rigatoni pasta (I use Barilla)
- water and 1 tablespoon salt to cook pasta
- 1 cup parmigiano reggiano freshly grated
- 1 cup parmesan freshly grated
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley roughly chopped
- 1 shallot peeled and diced
- 3 medium carrots peeled and shredded
- 4 cloves garlic crushed or minced
- 10-15 fresh basil leaves roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine (use drinking quality wine)
EASY PEEL TOMATOES:
Bring a pot of water to boil
Note: To save time, do this while preping the other ingredients.
Add the tomatoes to the boiling water. Cook 30 seconds and up to 1 minute. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Peel off the tomatoes skins.
Note: Some of the tomatoes skins will crack easily in the hot water, while some will not. For the ones that did not crack use the knife to gently cut a slit in the skin. Then peel.
Chop or dice the tomatoes. Set aside.
FOR THE PASTA:
Cook the pasta 4 minutes less than the package al dente instructions.
Note: I use 1 tablespoon salt in a large pot of water. Also this step can be done simultaneously while making the sauce.
FOR THE SAUCE:
Heat the olive oil, In a large deep sauté pan over medium heat.
Add the shallots. Saute 2 to 3 minutes until translucent.
Add carrots, garlic and parsley. Sauté 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the salt, black pepper and paprika. Sauté 1 minute until fragrant.
Pour in the wine. Cook 2 minutes until reduced.
Add the tomatoes and basil. Cook 8 to 10 minutes until tomatoes starts to break down.
Add the parmigiano reggiano and parmesan cheeses. Cook until melted and sauce thickens slightly – about 1 minute.
Add the pasta. Stir to coat with the sauce.
Add the goat cheese in several chunks. Cover the pot and cook 4 minutes.
Stir. Transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with parmesan cheese and parsley if desired.
Plate. Serve. Enjoy.