This simple and hearty dish can be classified as American Goulash. I like to, however, classify this meal as bolder and brighter than a goulash – the addition of white wine, bell peppers coupled with my special spice mix and herbs make it differently pleasing to the eye and palate.
Indulge yourself in brightening up your any-day dinner table with this super easy and most flavorful Macaroni and Grass Fed Beef. Kids and adults are equally impressed with this simple but gourmet meal. I love using Grass Fed Beef – no additional hormones – and the flavor is superb compared to regular ground beef. For vegetarians and vegans, you can swap out the beef and use firm tofu or Beyond Burger Meat (I see these in my grocery store more often these days). I hope you will make this dish and enjoy it as much as we do. Happy Cooking!
Try these Popular and Simple Pasta Recipes:
Stovetop Macaroni & Grass Fed Ground Beef
A super simple and absolutely delicious weeknight dinner meal.
FOR THE MEAT & PASTA
- 1 pound grass fed gound beef or your choice of ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Avocado Oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic crushed or finely minced
- 3 scallions chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper remove seeds and diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper remove seeds and diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper remove seeds and diced
- 1/2 medium red onion peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup white wine (I use driankable chardonay)
- 10 cocktail size tomatoes peeled and halved (or 4 ripe plum tomatoes peeled and chopped)
- 2 cups macaroni pasta (I use plant based Macaroni or Protein Plus)
- water and salt to cook the pasta
FOR THE SPICE MIX:
Combine all the spice mix ingredients in a small bowl. Mix and set aside.
FOR THE MEAT AND PASTA:
Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
Note: I cook pasta to al dente texture and I do this simultaneously while cooking the meat and vegetables.
I use 3 quarts water and 1 tablespoon salt. The pasta will not be salty since the water is discarded.
In a 5 quart dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat.
Add the ground meat and stir frequently to prevent lumps. Use the back of the spoon to mash/break up any lumps from forming. Cook 5 to 7 minutes until the meat is no longer pink.
Note: Using medium heat helps to minimize lumps of meat from forming.
Add the spice mix. Stir to combine. Cook 30 seconds to 1 minute until fragrant.
Add thyme, cilantro, garlic, scallions, peppers and onions. Stir to combine. Cook 5 minutes.
Add white wine and cook until almost evaporated.
Add tomatoes and cook until it starts to break down – about 10 minutes.
Add cooked pasta to the meat mixture. Stir to thoroughly coat the pasta.
Turn off the stove and transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Note: Feel free to sprinkle freshly ground parmesan cheese if desired.
Plate and serve. Enjoy!
Vegetarians and Vegans can swap out the beef for firm tofu or Beyond Burger Meat. For the Beyond Burger Meat, you can make the actual burgers and break it up into pieces and add to the cooked vegetables.
Hope you like these substitutes.