These easy Haricot Vert (French String Beans) packs the perfect combination of simple flavors with an al dente texture. Shallots cooked gently bringing a sweetness to the dish and the capers adds a slight tang. Not to mention everything tastes better with dill. I serve this with grilled chicken tenders, but keep it vegetarian and add toasted nuts. However you serve this side dish, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Happy Cooking!
Try These Popular Recipes:
String Beans with Shallots, Capers and Dill
An easy and super delicious vegetarian and vegan friendly side dish recipe.
- 1 pound String Beans Ends Snipped off. I use Haricot Verts (French String Beans)
- 1 – 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot peeled and sliced
- 1 clove garlic chopped finely
- 2 tablespoon fresh dill finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon capers rinsed thoroughly
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or kosher (adjust for your diet)
Add the string beans to a steamer pot insert. Steam over boiling water for 3 minutes. Remove the steamer basket with the undercooked beans and set aside.
Note: Beans will be slightly undercooked.
While the beans are steaming, add the olive oil to a non stick pan. Use medium heat.
Saute the shallots until slightly softened and fragrant.
Add the garlic, dill and capers. Add the black pepper and a pinch of the salt. Stir and cook 30 to 60 seconds.
Note: Be careful not to brown the shallots.
Add the string beans and season with the remaining salt. Mix well and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until beans are cooked through and still al dente.
Transfer to a serving dish. Serve with your favorite entree. Enjoy!
Tutorial Video Available: String Beans with Shallots, Capers and Dill
Nutritional Information will vary depending on serving size.