This is a great pick-me-up smoothie. It’s rich in flavor without any added artificial sugar and it is versatile enough that you can make changes, like using almond butter instead of peanut butter. The fruit and spinach combination keeps the overall calories low and the nutritional benefits are high. It’s high in fiber, vitamin C, and protein, to name a few. This smoothie is a great way to get your daily dose of fruits and a couple of servings of vegetables.
This smoothie has a beautiful green color but you are really drinking the rainbow (not literally). “The American Heart Association recommends four servings of fruits and five servings of vegetables per day, based on a 2,000-calorie diet, as an important component of an overall heart-healthy eating pattern. The recently launched +color campaign, part of the broader Healthy For Good initiative, specifically aims to encourage people to eat more fruits and vegetables every day.” [American Heart Association]
What’s more, this is a great gluten-free meal in a cup that is low in calories and it’s suitable for vegans and vegetarians. I hope you will try this recipe and enjoy it as much as I do. Happy Cooking!
PomFruits Spinach Smoothie
A nutritious smoothie loaded with antioxidants and vitamins. Great for breakfast or snack. Suitable for vegans and vegetarians.
- 1/2 cup Pomegranate juice
- 1 cup fresh mango chunks (can use frozen mangos if you don’t have fresh)
- 1 cup frozen strawberries about 8 to 10 small or 5 to 6 medium (i use organic strawberries)
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 2 cups baby organic spinach
- 3/4 tablespoon peanut butter (can use 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger (can substitute a very small piece of fresh ginger if preferred)
Add all ingredients in a blender.
Blend/Puree until smooth and creamy. 2 to 3 minutes depending on your blending machine.
Pour into your favorite glass. Garnish with mango chunks and/or mint if desired. Enjoy.
This recipe makes approximately 28 ounces or 2 -14 ounces servings .