Soup! It is just what the doctor ordered. A little bit of hotness coupled with the earthiness of cumin soothes the soul perfectly. This take on butternut squash not only ushers in the brilliance of orange, yellow fall color combination but the flavorful taste is heavenly. Leeks add another level of robustness to this easy to pull together soothing yet filling soup. The texture is further enriched with potatoes. This soup is not only great for a filling lunch, but it works perfectly as a starter to any meal. Its also vegetarian and vegan friendly. I hope you will make this soup and enjoy it as much as we do. Happy Cooking!
Butternut Squash Soup | With Potatoes and Leeks
An easy and healthy soup that is creamy and it's an excellent lunch or starter dish.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (plus extra for drizzling, optional)
- 2 leeks white parts only. Washed thoroughly and slice thinly
- 1 large onion peeled, halved and sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon sea salt plus a pinch. Can sub kosher salt and adjust for your diet.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (Optional)
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 4 small Eastern potatoes scrubbed clean and cut into chunks.
- 4 cups butternut squash chunks
- 6 cups water can sub vegetable or chicken broth
In a 5 quart dutch oven or soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
Add the onions and leeks. Season with a pinch of salt. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes until vegetables are softened and slightly brown.
Add the salt, cumin and hot pepper flakes if using. Stir and cook 30 seconds.
Add the garlic and cilantro. Stir. Cook 30 seconds.
Add the potatoes and butternut squash. Mix to coat with the onion mixture.
Pour in the water. Stir. Turn up heat to high. Cover pot and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low/low and simmer for 1 hour. Turn off the stove.
Working in batches – 2 to 3 – purée the hot soup mixture in a blender until smooth and creamy.
Pour into serving bowls. Drizzle with olive oil if desired.
Serve and enjoy!
Instructional video available – link in summary.