Grab a spoon and load up on this super delicious and healthy vegetable soup. This lentil miso based soup is sure to hit the spot on a cold winter day and quite frankly it is perfect for any season. This vegetarian and vegan friendly soup is easy to pull together. It’s really amazing how filling it is. The ingredients used are easy to find year round. This lentil and miso flavored thickened soup with tender but not mushy veggies will have you slurping on seconds. I hope you will try it and enjoy as much as we do. Happy Cooking.
You might also like these soup recipes:
Butternut Squash Soup | with Potatoes & Leeks
Roasted Butternut Squash Porcini Mushroom Broth and Cannellini Beans Soup
Want more wholesome and healthy recipes? Sign up for exclusive email updates. Follow Us on Social Media: YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram,Twitter, Facebook, ,Linkedin
Lentils Veggies Miso Soup
A simpe and healthy, yet super delicious soup. Great for any snowy winter day and quite frankly equally great for any season. Made with easy to find everyday ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped or diced
- 1 large celery stalk rinsed and chopped
- 4 small carrots peeled and sliced or diced
- 2 medium Idaho Potatoes washed thoroughly and cut into chunks
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or Kosher. Adjust for your diet.
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed thoroughly
- 3 vine ripened tomatoes diced or chopped (can sub plum tomatoes)
- 1 bunch scallions chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups spinach tightly packed. I used baby organic spinach
FOR THE MISO BROTH:
- 6 cups water
- 1/3 cup white miso paste (see comments in notes)
- 2 tablespoons dashi powder (see comment in notes)
Heat olive oil in a 5-quart dutch oven or soup pot using medium heat
Add onions and celery. Stir. Cook 2 minutes.
Add in carrots, potatoes, thyme leaves and season with 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (or kosher). Stir and cook 2 minutes.
Add in lentils, tomatoes and season with remaining salt. Stir.
MAKE THE MISO DASHI BROTH:
In a large measuring cup or bowl, add the water. Add 1/3 cup miso paste – stir and add in 2 tablespoons dashi powder. Stir until dissolved.
LET'S ADD THE BROTH TO THE VEGGIES:
Pour the Miso Dashi Broth over the veggies. Stir. Cover. Bring to a boil over high heat.
Once the liquid comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes.
30 minutes later, the veggies will be very tender and the broth reduced to approximately 4 cups. The broth will also thicken.
Add in the chopped scallions and spinach. Stir. Turn off the heat. Cover the pot with a tight lid for 2 mninutes. This will cook and wilt the spinach perfectly.
Stir and serve hot. Enjoy.
Tutorial Video Available: Lentils Veggies Miso Soup
White Miso Paste – can be purchased at any Asian/Chinese supermarket or online.
Dashi Powder – can be purchased at any Asian/Chinese supermarket or online.
Nutritional facts will vary depending on the serving size you eat.